Experienced and Knowledgeable Scooter Accident Lawyers
Electric scooters are becoming increasingly common, especially in highly populated cities. However, this form of transportation can lead to potential accidents and result in life-altering injuries.
If you or a loved one sustained injuries due to a scooter accident that wasn’t your fault, consulting a Massachusetts scooter accident lawyer is in your best interest. Whether you were a scooter rider who suffered injuries or you were harmed by a careless scooter driver, contact Jim Glaser Law.
Common Accidents Involving Electric Scooters
Electric scooter riders are not the only ones at risk in scooter accidents. Motorists and pedestrians also have the potential to suffer serious injuries due to a negligent scooter rider. No matter if you were a scooter rider, motorist, or pedestrian, below are some of the most common accidents involving electric scooters:
Common Accidents Involving Scooter Riders
- The rider was hit by a car door.
- The rider crashed due to road hazards, such as potholes or construction zones.
- The scooter was defective.
- The rider was hit by a motor vehicle.
- The rider collided with a pedestrian.
Common Accidents Involving Motorists and Pedestrians
- A driver attempted to avoid a scooter rider and collided with another vehicle.
- A pedestrian was hit by a scooter.
- A pedestrian fell on a scooter left lying on the ground.
- A scooter rider was not visible to the driver.
The Dangers of Scooters
Although motorized scooters appear to be an easy transportation alternative, they are contributing to some of the accidents occurring in cities.
First, electric scooters can only reach speeds up to 15 miles per hour, compared to vehicles that travel at much higher speeds. Additionally, scooters are not as visible, meaning drivers are less likely to notice them on the roadways.
Secondly, scooters do not provide any protection for the rider, often leading to severe injuries.
Third, many scooter riders are inexperienced and don’t know how to safely operate a scooter around traffic and pedestrians, increasing the chances of an accident.
Lastly, some riders behave recklessly by weaving between traffic or making sudden stops, which doesn’t allow drivers or pedestrians enough reaction time to prevent accidents.
Since scooters are becoming more common, it’s vitally important to know how to proceed in case you’re involved in a mishap with a scooter.
What to Do After a Motorized Scooter Accident
The steps you take after a scooter accident are important, especially if you decide to file a claim to seek compensation for any damages. If you implement the following tips, it may strengthen your accident case.
- Do not flee the accident scene – It’s in your best interest to remain at the collision scene until help arrives. If you leave the scene, you could face criminal charges and the amount of compensation you’re entitled to, if any, can be significantly impacted.
- Call for help – If you or anyone else involved suffered injuries, it’s important to call emergency responders. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, it’s best to be evaluated by a medical professional.
- Get a copy of the police report – A police report is a valuable document in these types of cases because it can be used as substantial evidence for your claim. The report will state the various details of the accident such as who is at fault.
- Take photos – Photographs can be used as evidence to prove property damage and the extent of your injuries.
- Ask for contact information – Make sure to ask for the phone numbers and insurance information of those involved. In some cases, an accident can include multiple parties, so it’s vital to ask for the contact information of everyone affected.
- Seek medical attention – If your injuries require extensive medical attention, do not resist the necessary treatment. If you fail to follow your doctor’s orders, you may damage your ability to receive compensation.
- Call a Massachusetts scooter accident lawyer – These cases are often complex. Gathering evidence to build a solid case can be time-consuming, which is why it’s in your best interest to speak with an attorney.
If you keep these suggestions in mind after an accident involving a scooter, you can drastically help your case. However, it’s important to also be aware of the common mistakes people make after scooter accidents.
What Not to Do After an Electric Scooter Accident
In some cases, individuals involved in electric scooter accidents are unaware that their decisions can ruin their chances of receiving compensation. Below are several mistakes you should avoid that may affect your case:
Agreeing to sign paperwork
There are cases where an insurance adjuster may ask for you to sign paperwork at the collision scene. If you sign any documents without first seeking the legal advice of an experienced attorney, you could completely diminish your opportunity to file a claim.
Posting on social media outlets
If you post on social media outlets about your case before it’s settled, you might decrease your chances of obtaining a settlement. For example, in some cases, an individual may claim that they sustained an injury that makes it difficult for them to walk. If that same individual posts a picture on social media of them walking on a trail or working out in the gym, it could cause the insurance company to believe their injury is not as severe as they previously claimed. This could result in a denied claim or reduced settlement offer.
Denying treatment recommended by your doctor
The treatment required to help you recover from your injuries makes a significant impact on the amount of compensation you may receive. If you deny medical treatment that your doctor recommended, it could reduce your chances of obtaining compensation.
How Liability Is Determined in Scooter Cases
Determining liability in scooter accident cases can be difficult without legal advice. In order to determine who is liable for the accident, an experienced attorney will need to review the details of your case.
The party held legally responsible will depend on who was at fault for the accident. The scooter rider, the pedestrian, or the scooter company are all possible candidates when determining liability for the mishap.
Contact Jim Glaser Law
If you or a loved one sustained injuries due to a scooter accident, you need the legal advice of a scooter accident lawyer. An attorney can review the various aspects of your case and determine what legal options are available.
At Jim Glaser Law, we understand the legal system can be complicated and tedious. After an accident, medical bills can pile up and your injuries may cause you to miss time from work, however, you may be qualified to receive compensation for your suffering and any related costs from the accident.
Jim Glaser Law serves Massachusetts communities, such as Boston, Sharon, and Cambridge. We believe injured claim holders deserve justice for what they endured. Call our law firm today at (480) 898-4816 or fill out our free consultation form.