Like many areas of the law, workers’ compensation can be both technical and confusing. Your employer and their insurance company are well-trained in the process and they can walk you through many of the complicated aspects of workers’ compensation. However, it is important to keep in mind that your employer and their insurance company are actually your adversaries in a workers’ comp dispute, so following their advice may not always be in your best interest. Instead, if a dispute arises, a workers’ compensation lawyer can be your best ally.
When to Hire a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
Technically speaking, you never required to have an attorney. You have the right to represent yourself in legal cases, and workers’ compensation is no different. However, the old adage, “the man who represents himself in court has a fool for client” still holds true. An attorney can help you navigate the complicated legal world of workers’ compensation, just like other areas of the law. Attorneys also generally increase your chances of prevailing on most legal issues. Workers’ compensation claims are often denied when not filed correctly.
Workers’ compensation is a little bit different than your average legal issue, however. You only involve the legal system if there is a dispute—just because you have a workers’ compensation claim, that does not automatically mean that you need to hire a lawyer. Instead, a workers’ compensation lawyer is most helpful in some of the following situations:
- Your injury is not being covered by your employer
- You are not getting as much benefits as you feel you should
- Your employer has provided some medical treatment, but not everything that you need
- You are going to get Social Security disability benefits
- You have a potential third-party claim (such as in accidents that involve car crashes)
- Your medical problems prevent you from returning to your job
- You feel threatened or are concerned about losing your job because of your injury
Benefits of Having a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
Your employer and their insurance company have likely gone through this process before, but chances are that you have not. Having someone on your side that understands the process and how your benefits should be provided is an invaluable resource. Below are some of the major reasons that having an attorney in a workers’ compensation claim is a good idea.
- The attorney can communicate to the employer and their insurance company on your behalf so you do not have to deal with the claim yourself
- The attorney knows the ins and outs of the law, so they can make sure that you are asserting all of your rights
- The attorney can structure your settlement to avoid common problems with Social Security, medical insurance liens, and tax issues
- The attorney can put your mind at ease because you know you are going to get the best outcome for your case
Experienced workers’ compensation lawyers, like those at Jim Glaser Law know the best methods for dealing with both employers and their insurance companies. Having an attorney on your side means that your employer will not take advantage of you. Be sure that you get the compensation that you deserve by contacting Jim Glaser Law at 781-689-2277. We offer free consultation services so you can double check that you are getting the benefits that you should.