Approximately nine million people in the U.S. are receiving Social Security Disability benefits, and the Social Security Administration estimates that this number represents only a small number of those who are living with a disability in this country. If you’re living in Boston with a disability that prevents you from working, the experienced Boston disability lawyers at Jim Glaser Law can provide guidance and assistance as you navigate the claims process. Contact us online or call us at 617-906-8775 to get started!
Do You Need Social Security Disability Benefits?
Our experienced disability lawyers are here to help you through the process of filing for Social Security Disability benefits!
Getting Help is Easy.
We understand how confusing the process of filing a claim can be and we are ready to put our experience with Social Security Disability claims to work for you. Our attorneys will assist you every step of the way, and you don’t even have to leave your house — we will come to you.
You Don't Have to Fight Alone.
Filing a claim for Social Security Disability benefits is a multi-layered process with very strict requirements. Our experienced team knows this process inside and out, and we are ready to fight for the benefits you are entitled to receive.
It Costs Nothing to Start the Process.
We work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning our services are available to you immediately, without an upfront payment. We don’t get paid unless there is a successful outcome to your claim.
We Understand What You’re Going Through
Disabilities can be painful, often resulting in the need for ongoing medical treatment to address secondary issues. Disabilities can also be stressful, preventing you from earning an income or participating in your community in the way that you would like. We realize that, with everything else you’re facing, the last thing you want to do is use your time and energy on a lengthy claims process. That’s where our experience comes in.
Jimmy Knows™ the difficulties that disabilities can cause. Social Security Disability benefits, which are a monthly payment from the federal government provided to individuals who have a limited income and a lack of resources, can provide the money you need to live your life as best as possible. And Attorney Jim Glaser knows how to help you get these benefits. All it takes is one call to get started with the help you need.
Do You Need Help Applying for Social Security Disability benefits?
If you have questions about the process of filing a claim or appealing a claim decision, our Boston disability lawyers are here to be your guide as we work through this process together.
Do I Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits?
In order to qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, the following eligibility criteria must be met:
- Your condition must prevent you from working.
- Your disability must either be on the administration’s list of covered conditions or be determined to be as severe as the conditions included on the list.
- Your condition must have significantly limited your ability to complete routine physical or mental tasks for at least one year.
- You must have worked in a job that is covered by Social Security and made enough money at that job to earn the work credits required to claim benefits.
What is the Process of Getting Social Security Disability Benefits in Boston?
The process of applying for Social Security Disability benefits in Boston is overseen by the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission. The application process includes the following steps:
- Submit your application and supporting documentation about your medical condition and your work history for the past 15 years.
- Your application will undergo an initial review to ensure that you meet the basic requirements and have provided the required documentation. If all of this information is in order, your case will be forwarded to the Disability Determination Service office in your area.
- The state will make an initial determination for the administration on your application. If the application is approved, you will receive a letter noting that approval, the amount of benefits you are eligible to receive, and the date on which these monthly payments will start.
- If you disagree with the decision that was made, you are permitted to undergo the appeals process.
Social Security Disability FAQs
Other benefit programs, such as workers’ compensation, can reduce the amount of monthly benefits you are eligible to receive.
If your claim is denied, you will be permitted to appeal the decision within 60 days after receiving your determination letter. There are four levels of appeal, including requesting reconsideration of your application, a hearing before an administrative law judge, a review by the Social Security Appeals Council, and a review by the federal courts. Our Boston disability lawyers can help you with all levels of appeals.
Yes, there are a number of reasons why your application can be denied, including an arrest warrant or conviction of a crime that results in incarceration, the ability to return to work, or you are not a citizen of the United States.
Certain family members may obtain benefits through your work credits, including your spouse if he or she is over the age of 62 or is caring for a child under 16 or disabled; minor children, and adult children who have a disability that started before the age of 22.