You have made the right decision in deciding to hire a lawyer for your personal injury case. However, your decision-making process does not end there. You must also find the right personal injury lawyer for your unique situation.
You may think that all lawyers are the same, but they definitely aren’t! Instead, you need a lawyer with experience and knowledge about your particular injury and accident. We can help you get started.
Getting Started: What Kind of Attorney Do You Need?
Most attorneys end up specializing in just a few areas of the law. They also usually specialize in either one side or the other—that is, they either usually represent victims or they defend people. If you have been injured, you want a plaintiff’s attorney.
A plaintiff’s attorney usually represents victims in personal injury cases and knows how to deal with insurance companies and defense lawyers. While you can hire someone who mostly defends people, hiring someone who has extensive experience with other injured individuals will be extremely helpful for your case.
Searching for an Attorney
There are several ways that you can find an attorney. You might want to try some of the following methods.
- Speak with friends and family. Your friends and family may have been in a similar situation in the past. Which attorney did they use? Did they enjoy working with him or her? Friends and family are great resources because they will be straightforward about their opinions about a lawyer, and you know you can trust their opinion. You can also ask questions as well.
- Lawyer directories. Many online directories offer lawyer listings. They sometimes come with reviews as well. The State of Massachusetts also provides a helpful legal directory if you need help finding contact information for a specific lawyer.
- Online search. If you type in a search engine that you need a lawyer in a particular area, several helpful sites will appear that allow you to search lawyer listings. Lawyer websites will also appear as well. Just be careful that the lawyer websites are actually in your local area.
- Other lawyers. If you have friends or family who are lawyers, you may want to ask them for a recommendation. Even if your friend or family member does not practice personal injury, chances are that they know someone in their local area who does.
Of course, Jim Glaser Law also encourages you to look through our site to determine whether we can help you with your particular case. You can also call to schedule a free, no commitment consultation as well.
What to Look for in a Potential Attorney
Some personal injury lawyers are obviously going to be better than others for your specific case. You should look for:
- Experience in your particular injury or circumstance
- Experience generally (how long has this attorney been practicing law?)
- Proximity to your local area
- Good reputation
- Willing to answer questions
You will have to share some very personal details about your case with your attorney. That means that trust is extremely important in your relationship. Take the time to meet with potential attorneys and see what kind of “vibe” each one gives you.