Everything You Need to Know About Workers’ Comp in New Hampshire

"*" indicates required fields


Nashua, New Hampshire

Workers’ compensation in New Hampshire is administered and enforced by the Workers’ Compensation Division, a section of the New Hampshire Department of Labor. This government agency enforces coverage requirements for employers and oversees the benefits paid to injured employees. They also hold hearings on contested workers’ compensation claims. Virtually anything dealing with workers’ compensation in New Hampshire will involve the Workers’ Compensation Division.

Workers’ compensation is a unique area of the law because it involves statutes, case law, agency decisions, and regulations. It takes a knowledgeable attorney to be proficient in this area. If you are having trouble with a workers’ compensation claim, you need to seek out an experienced New Hampshire workers’ comp lawyer to help you deal with your employer and its insurance company.

Get a FREE Case Review

Basic Information About Workers’ Compensation in New Hampshire

Workers’ compensation provides medical benefits and lost wage recovery for workers who have been injured or contracted a sickness while on the job. Virtually all employees are covered under New Hampshire workers’ compensation laws. The vast majority of employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance as well.

If you have been hurt at work, you should report your injury to your employer immediately or as soon as you can. Fill out a Form 8aWCA as soon as possible. Your employer should provide you with this form. You do have up to two years to report a work injury, but it is in your best interest to report the injury right away.

Once you have given this form to your employer, the employer should also fill out an injury report and file it with their insurance carrier within five days after receiving your 8aWCA form.

There is a three-day waiting period to receive benefits for lost wages in New Hampshire. However, if you are unable to work for 14 days or more, then this waiting period is waived.

You have the right to pick your doctor if you are hurt at work. You can also get a second opinion in most situations. There are circumstances where your choices of a doctor may be limited, but in most occurrences, you will be able to use any doctor you would like. However, if your employer’s insurance company has a “managed care,” option, then you may need to choose a particular doctor from a list of approved doctors.

When you see the doctor, be sure that you mention that your injury is related to work. That way, the bills will be sent to your employer and not you.

Contested Workers’ Compensation Claims

In some cases, the insurance company may deny your claim for workers’ comp benefits. Fortunately, you have other options if you think that you are entitled to benefits. Some insurance companies deny claims routinely, just to see if you will attempt to fight back.

You can bring a contested claim to the Department of Labor and dispute the denial. An experienced New Hampshire workers’ comp lawyer who knows how the agency regulations, laws, and methods work can be an invaluable asset in this process. Contact Jim Glaser Law today at 781-689-2277 or fill out our online form to request a free case evaluation.